Welcome to our rogues gallery
Below are some examples of poor workmanship that we come accross on a daily basis. some are funny, some are property damaging and some are downright dangerous. We have added these so you can see just why you should use a specialist like The Aerial Doctor.
This was a job we came across in Macclesfield. An electrician had offered to do it at the same time as some electrical work. He had fitted a huge DIY aerial to a extra long pole and then bolted this to a loft mounting pole and bracket designed for an internal fit where there is no wind load.
The whole thing was dangling precariously over the path, threatening to drop at any time either through next doors roof or onto someones head as they walked below. The second and third pictures show the damage done to the brickwork.
Here we visited a house in Sandbach where a new, huge aerial had been installed on a 10 feet long pole. The installer failed to change the six inch chimney bracket and lashing kit though which resulted in this damage to the brickwork on the chimney. A large galvanised cradle bracket was fitted, problem solved.
I have included this set of pictures to show how lazy some installers are. They were taken on a job in congleton. The pictures on the left show two lashing kits which hold the bracket to the chimney. The bottom one is done properly, the top one isnt. As the wind blows the aerial about the wire can stretch and come loose, causing chimney damage.
The next picture shows how he couldnt be bothered to clip the cable down the chimney. This lets the cable flap around and it will eventually snap or wear through allowing water to travel down to the tv.
The final picture shows how the installer had left the aerial touching the chimney pot in two different places. The tapping noises on a windy night must have driven the homeowners mad.
This was an aerial in Scholar Green giving a poor signal. At first inspection we realised that the aerial was fitted upside down with the pole going through the elements. This interferes with the signal causing problems. We then realised the reason for it being upside down was that there was no cap on the cable entry point so this was the best way to keep the water out!
Once again this is an all to common sight, a bodged up aerial fit to a loft. We were called to this address due to a poor signal on all the tv's in the house.
The aerial was pointed at the floor, miles off the direction of the transmitter and mounted with the cradle between the elements. The cradle to mast bracket was mounted to the joist and because of the angle the aerial could only point downhill.
Here we have a really poor installation in peover. Everything that could be wrong here, was wrong. The wall bracket was bolted to the chimney with two loose anchor bolts, so the aerial had tipped forward and ruined the bricks in the chimney.The mast looked like an old shower curtain pole so the aerial had spun into the wrong direction.
The idiot installer had managed to install the cradle bracket onto the aerial (the U shaped bracket under the aerial, designed to spread the weight of the aerial), but then he must have decided to mount the aerial at the rear of the boom arm as when put onto the cradle the aerial would have hit the chimney. There was no tape or zip ties securing the cable to the mast so it just flapped in the breeze, and finally the elements of the aerial come folded flat to avoid damage in transit and need folding up into place before installation. Our chap must have become bored during this operation as he only did the back half of the aerial as you can see from the second picture.
This actually made me laugh out loud, and honestly this is not a set up (i know those installers out there wont believe this). The lady of the house told me that a slate had come off the roof and snapped something off the dish, her intrepid husband had ventured out onto the flat roof to effect repairs but they still werent getting a signal. At least this was poor DIY and not a professional repair!